Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Jerwood Library is open from 9.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday by advanced booking only
Welcome back! If you are a returning student the Jerwood Library is going to feel a bit different this term to ensure that we can make you as safe as possible and limit the spread of coronavirus. Please see below a summary of the changes that we have put in place. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or concerns.
We look forward to seeing you in the library!
Working in the library
Please remember to:
- Only enter the library if you have booked a study space or have an appointment to collect requested books. Study spaces can be booked up to 1 week in advance.
- Respect social distancing and try to remain two metres apart at all times
- Wear a face covering when entering and walking around the building. You can remove your face covering once you are seated and 2 metres away from another person
- You will need to wipe down your desk or the mouse and keyboard of library computers before and after use, using the cleaning products provided
- Do not move the furniture which has been setup with social distancing in mind and only sit on chairs which have a sign with a green tick on their back.
- Do not close any of the windows which must be kept open to ensure adequate ventilation. It will be colder than usual so please wear layers or bring you own blanket.
- Please wash or sanitise your hands regularly. Hand sanitiser is available throughout the building.
- You must not visit the library if you have covid symptoms or are self isolating.
What library services are available?
- 24 hour book returns: Please place books in the book returns container just outside the library entrance. They will be returned from your library account every day (excluding weekends)
- Study spaces: We have very limited seating so you must book in advance using this booking form
- Book request and collect service: You may request up to 5 books or DVDs by emailing us the details and shelf mark. We will let you know when they are ready to collect and you can book an appointment to pick them up
- Book browsing and borrowing: (if you have booked a study space)
- Printed magazines and journals: These are available on request from the library staff office and will be quarantined on return.
- Postal loans: We can post books to you if you are working remotely if they are not available as an ebook.
- Scan and send: If you just need a chapter of a book that is in the Jerwood you can request that we scan and email it to you using this form.
- Book recommendations If there's a book you need which is not in the Jerwood you can request that we buy it using the Book Recommendations form.
- Enquiries and support: Library staff can answer all your library and information related enquiries. You can contact us by phone or email, or set up a video meeting if you prefer.
- Printing, scanning and computing facilities: Computers must be booked as a study space.
- Online resources: There is a multitude of ebooks, ejournals and databases available online. More information and links to these is available here.
What is not available?
Due to health and safety considerations we are not able to provide the following:
- Walk in use of the library: You must have an appointment before visiting the library
- Water cooler: Please bring your own hot or cold drinks in a firmly lidded container. Food is not allowed (as usual)
- Shared equipment such as book rests, chargers etc.
- Library blankets: But please feel free to bring your own
Book a seat
Study spaces, computing and printing facilities are available, but you must book these in advance. Half day slots are available between 9:30 am-12:30 pm and 1:30 pm-4:30 pm. You do not have to stay for the entire booking.
You can book a seat on a particularly floor and can then choose any available seat when you arrive. Please do not change seats.
Please leave your desk promptly at the end of your booking.
Please remember to cancel your booking if you are not able to attend.