All current members of the University are automatically registered to borrow, including staff, affiliated staff, undergraduates, postgraduates and affiliated students.
Academic visitors to the Architecture & Art History (AHA) Faculty may also register to borrow. They should be introduced by a Member of the Faculty or by the Faculty Administrative Staff. All academic visitors need to be resident in Cambridge for at least a month to be able to register to borrow.
Academic visitors to Colleges and other Departments can use the Library only for reference.
Access for visitors
Throughout the year, the following may use the library for reference by appointment:
- Graduate students from other UK universities on production of a student card or similar
- Cambridge alumni who are not attached to a Faculty or College in the University of Cambridge
During the vacations only, the following may use the library for reference by appointment:
- Undergraduates from other UK universities on production of a student card or similar
- Graduates and undergraduates from overseas universities. However only on presentation of a letter from their home university addressed to the Faculty Librarian, justifying the need for using the Library
- Members of public who have applied in writing to the Librarian, justifying the need for using the Library.
Food and drink (other than bottled water) is not permitted in the reading room and large bags or items can be left in the library lockers located in the central Faculty corridor to avoid trip hazards in our narrow spaces.