Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research.
With Mendeley, you can:
- Create and manage citations of books, articles, videos, and more
- Import citations from many databases
- Extract metadata from imported PDFs
- Collaborate with other researchers online
- Find relevant papers based on what you’re reading
- Highlight and annotate papers and share those notes with others
- Organize your sources using groups, tags, and filters
It takes a lot of the hard work out of formatting references, leaving you more time for writing and less time stressing about commas.
A useful set of guides is available from University of Illinois.
A "teach yourself" guide to Mendeley is available from the Medical Library.
There are lots of video guides on the Mendeley website, but here's one to get you started: